Nothing is more frustrating than water spillage. If you have an automatic or touchless faucet, one of the reasons you probably bought it is to save water. However, you may be stuck with a faucet that runs continuously even after moving your hands away from the sensor.
Fortunately, you can adjust the water timer of the touchless faucet. The best way to do this is to refer to the specific instructions of the manufacturer. But to give you an idea, you typically use an accessory tool included in the packaging. Pry open the faucet head to access the internal parts. Then, turn the nut to change the closing time of the faucet.
Other automatic faucets require less work to adjust the water cycle time, as we will cover below. We’ll also teach you how most timed faucets work. Plus, we will share why one might not turn off automatically.
How To Adjust the Cycle Time of an Automatic Faucet?
Touchless faucets automatically switch off after some period. The cycle time varies depending on the plumbing manufacturer. Some units will switch off after ten seconds, while others continuously run up to 30 seconds.
Luckily, you can change the timer of the faucet to save water and money in the long run.
To do so, refer to the product manual. Follow the specific instructions of the manufacturer to adjust the water cycle time correctly. Remember, not all faucets work the same way. As such, the method to change the cycle time also varies.
Below, we’ll look at some brands of automatic faucets that come with a water timer.
Oras Touchless Faucets
Oras offers high-quality touchless faucets with or without Bluetooth capabilities.
If you have a faucet equipped with Bluetooth, it is relatively easy to change the water timer. Follow the instructions below.
- Visit Google Play or Apple App store, depending on the OS system of your phone. Search and download the dedicated Oras app.
- Go to the Settings menu and switch on Bluetooth connection.
- Find the Oras smart faucet on the list of devices. Tap it to start pairing. If you cannot find the unit, move closer to the sink. You must be within a range of ten meters, so the phone can detect it.
- Quit the Settings menu and launch the Oras app.
- After selecting the faucet in the app, you’ll find all of its adjustable settings. These include the water level, temperature control, automatic rinsing, sensor sensitivity, and, most importantly, water flow time.
- Choose the water flow time to adjust it. You can change it to a few seconds to save water. Or you can lengthen the flow duration, depending on your preferences.
- You can even add an authorized password when programming the faucet.
- If you have more than one touchless faucet from Oras, you can save the settings and copy them to another unit.
Those who purchased an Oras faucet without a Bluetooth connection can also change the water timer. However, the task is not as easy. Plus, the exact method used can vary depending on your settings, as we mentioned above.
To give you an idea, here is how to adjust the water flow time in the Electra 6188/6189 wall-mounted faucet.
- Find the magnetic key that comes with the faucet. If it is lost, you can buy another one from a local seller.
- Place your hand in front of the motion sensor. Then, insert the key between the sensor lenses.
- Once the faucet identifies the key, it automatically turns off. You’ll see a red light near the sensor.
- Hold the magnetic key in position until you see either red or green lights that flash.
- You must pull out the key after a certain number of red and green flashes. This exact number changes depending on your preferred setting. For example, you want to edit the default 120-second cycle time to 30 seconds. You must wait for the red light to blink once and the green light to flash twice. Finally, tap the key near the sensor until the red light flashes thrice. That completes the water flow time adjustment.
Refer to the product manual if you wish to change the flow time of other touchless faucets.
Hansgrohe Touchless Faucets
Hansgrohe is another popular manufacturer of smart faucets for bathrooms and kitchens. It offers self-closing faucets with a cycle time between three and 20 seconds. The default setting is seven seconds, but it is adjustable.
Below are the steps to changing the running time of Hansgrohe touchless faucets.
- Locate the accessory tool (Allen wrench) and insert it into the small hole near the faucet spout.
- Gently lift the faucet head to access the internal parts.
- You’ll find a dial inside. Rotate it clockwise or counterclockwise using a coin to adjust the water cycle time.
- Return the faucet head to its proper place.
- Lower it down until you hear a click sound, which ensures it is already locked in place.
How Do Timed Faucets Work?
By now, you probably already know how to adjust the running time of your touchless faucets. Still, you may be curious to learn how they work.
Well, there are four main parts that enable timed faucets to function properly.
First, let’s talk about the motion sensor, which is located near the spout. It detects your hand movements and signals the solenoid valve to turn on. Once the sensor notices the absence of motion, it communicates with the other faucet parts to stop the water flow.
The valve controls the water flow, depending on the signals sent by the sensor. It can open to allow liquid to pour out of the spout. After some time without motion, it automatically closes to conserve water. It stays closed until the sensor detects another movement.
A timed faucet wouldn’t work without a power source. It comes from either battery cells or the low-current voltage of an electrical socket.
Finally, the spout contains all the working components of the automatic faucet.
Some smart faucets may feature Bluetooth technology. They enable you to control the water settings with just a tap via a dedicated mobile app.
Why Is My Touchless Faucet Not Turning Off?
Although extremely rare, you may encounter an automatic faucet that refuses to shut off.
This is influenced by things like loose connections or blocked components.
To fix a faucet that runs continuously, you must check the water fittings. Make sure the connections are secure in place.
If everything is secure, but the faucet still runs, clean the internal parts. Dust or debris may prevent these components from working properly.
After trying the above methods and noticing that the problem still persists, the culprit may be the solenoid valve. You may need to replace it, especially if it no longer closes properly.
A touchless faucet features a timer that allows you to change the water cycle time. To adjust this setting, you must refer to the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Most models require you to access the internal parts by removing the faucet head. However, other smart faucets have Bluetooth technology to adjust the water settings via a mobile app.
Do you have other questions about touchless faucets? Feel free to visit our contact page to send your queries!